Sunday, November 18, 2007

Every Other Day

This was a good week. I think my progress has been moving along pretty well. My main goal now is to stay motivated through the winter and as long as I continue to lose weight that shouldn't be a problem. I spent this last week figuring out new ways to get my miles in when it is cold. In the last post I told you about the Air Force PT work out 1/4 mile runs with circuit training breaks - I did that Tuesday (3 miles) and Thursday (3.5 miles) at the office fitness room on the tredmill, which is good because that gives me speed references for the future. There isn't much speed so don't laugh at my numbers, they are faster than I can maintain when I am walking.
Tuesday I had on some walking shoes that I will not use for running again. I started running at 4.3 then slowed to 4.0 but by the third mile my knee was hurting, I think because the shoes were not right, so I slowed down and walked half of the last mile.
Thursday I wore my road shoes and felt much better. I stayed at 4.3 for most of the first 2 miles and then slowed to 4.0 for the 3rd. I got back on the tredmill to try using the Podrunner music for a little. I spent about 1/4 mile trying to get the rythem - and didn't, so I was running along at 3.8 (slow I know, but it was the 4th mile) and realized I felt fine so I ran on - ended up doing a half mile. I am very proud of that one, I ran every bit of 3.5 miles.
Saturday I waited until it warmed up in the afternoon and hit the Hayfields. I ran the usual route until the last field and there I started circling to get more distance. These fields are harder to run continuously because of the hills, but I did a pretty good job of it, especially toward the end. That makes me pretty happy too, being able to run at the end makes me think I am not working too hard at the beginning. Though if this was a real race I would probably be in trouble since I have no idea what my pace is to make sure I finish strong.
I am doing pretty good running every other day. I already know that if I take off 3 days my recovery will be painful. Taking 2 days off is available if the weather is messy, but every other day is turning out pretty comfortable.
I like the PT plan that I am using. I can always speed up the 1/4 miles or run 1/2 miles and I can use the weight machine to mix up the circuit training just to be creative. I am enjoying this because the progress is continuing and my expectations are staying within reason. Now the big test - here comes Thankgiving!
I wish you all a good holiday. Will you run after the feast?

No comments: