Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Roth 5K and Bluestone Run

I just realized I hadn't commented on the Roth 5k that I ran last Tuesday evening!
There were a LOT of people at that race. I finished 79th with all but one of the walkers behind me - but that guy isn't natural! So there must have been a good 125 people.
This was the first time I ran this course on a clock and my time of 37:46 was a few seconds faster than the other 5Ks I have finished. The more acccurate scale of how I am progressing is that in October I ran those same streets and it took me 42 minutes by my watch and I was in pretty worn out shape too. At that time I could barely consider running in public. I never figured I would use the main road to run into town. I spent most of my time in the hayfields.
Contrast that with my latest project.
I am working with some other people on a fund raising 5K at Bluestone SP that will run on 21 June. MP scouted out the route for us a few weeks ago, he and KT ran it last week and evaluated it at a 7 out of 10. I ran it after work today. There is a "speed bump" in the road and MP expects me to fuss at him about it, but you know what? It was great!! I managed to run the whole thing, very slowly on the long up hill, but I wasn't walking.
Kind of curious about how I had to walk some at the Roth and was able to just keep 'not walking' today all by myself out on the back roads of Bluestone. Maybe it is just easier to give in to the walk when other people do too. I don't know. I do know that it was very nice to finish that run today in a decent time. I hadn't seen the route before, but now that I have I know that we are going to have a great event in June. I also know that we need lots of signs!

No comments: