Saturday, March 15, 2008

Competition Brings on Real Running

Today was the High Rocks Celtic Knot 5k. The knot part is right! The race winds and twists through the streets of Lewisburg. The promo said "a flat race with one big hill". There was very little flat, unless you consider that the long uphills were on level streets. The one big hill - big is a word for it. Monstrous is another. I walked half of that one and another hill that I couldn't force myself to run and finished in 35 minutes 11 seconds. 4 minutes and 15 seconds faster than my last race. There is some dispute that the milage was only 2.9 miles - maybe a certain GPS needs calibrated? Or maybe the route was a little short. Even if you add in a couple minutes to make up the missing portion I did better than last time. So all is good, I am running more than I am walking these days.

Next big race is a 10k (6.2 miles) in May. That means next weekend while I plan to complete 8 miles, I need to run at least 4 of them to build up for that race. I should be able to add another mile 2 weeks later and another 2 weeks after that, if not sooner. Might be aggressive due to the amount of weight I still need to lose, but it has to be attempted.

I also have to be able to finish a Half Marathon (13 miles) in September. It will be hot. All I can say is I am not afraid to walk some of that one. I am hoping for a freak cold front to go through Ohio that weekend. Since I am not relying on that hope I am requiring myself to lose at least 25 more pounds and I need to run in the sun. Hmmm running with sleeves warms me up in 40 degree weather, ought to consider that for this summer. With plenty of water stashed around the hayfields of course.

I have a lot of work to do, but I Believe it can be done!

2 comments:

Mark said...

The blog was so good I had to read it twice. Great job at the race. Remember don't push too much too fast. As far as the GPS goes mine read 2.91 and Kenny's read 2.85 so I'd say the course was short.

Anonymous said...

Great job Sandy you are doing so great I am proud! I wish I could be tehre to cheer you on but I am in Spirit for sure. Miss you guys and cant wait to see you all again Love to Billy and Jake and Poochy and all the other critters!
Love Jen and Clan