Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Training Lesson

Last week started out with a little too much work and then slid into not nearly enough work and finally ended up in Lesson Learned Land.
I did a hard run on Sunday that went pretty well, then Monday was a nice walk, but then Tuesday I went out and did another hard run, which didn't feel so good. It was very humid and on the edge of raining, but I think the problem had more to do with the fact that I have been being very cautious in my training and two hard runs that close together was pushing myself.
I started out with 70 pounds to lose and a strong paranoia about getting hurt. I am down about 25 pounds and my paranoia is still there, so psychologically this wasn't a good idea.
Wednesday it started to rain for the first time in weeks and I was sore so taking a day off was easy.
Thursday it was still raining, another day off was not a good idea, but that is what happened. I have an exercise bike in the basement that I could ride, but convinced myself that it would be boring to ride it in the basement watching the pool table go by.
Friday it was still raining and I went to an expo and then shopping for bargains, so I got a walk in, but no running or biking.
Saturday, even after 3 days of rain the ground was not squishy except in a couple of puddle spots. Since it wasn't wet I did a moderate run and discovered that the rainy day vacation was a really bad idea. I finished the 4 miles, but I had a backside muscle hurting the whole way, it has been bothering me for a while, but was worse than usual this time. Then after the run my thigh and lower back were hurting. Connected by the lack of exercise to be sure.
Sunday I was really sore, Aleve to the rescue! I went out for a 4 mile walk. The dogs weren't real happy with my training choice, they would run off and come back looking at me like 'what's your problem? Let's go!' I just kept walking.
Today, Monday, I felt pretty good. I also decided why that backside muscle was hurting, a bad case of West Virginia Mountain Leg. You know how all of the cows in WV have one leg shorter than the other from grazing the hillsides? Well, I have been running these hills in the same clockwise direction every day. I try to stay on the flat areas, but sometimes I am on a slope. Today I ran them counter-clockwise and you might think I am kidding, but I didn't have any problems in that area. LOL Hey something had to explain it, right?
So that is my most recent training lesson. No sitting around on rainy/cold/slushy days, do something, anything, just get off the couch! The rest of this week will be long walks or light jogs until Saturday morning when I head to Pipestem for the Pumpkin Run!

No comments: