Saturday, October 13, 2007

PWWHM Kick the Couch 5k

I had a great race today! Myself and over 1100 of my new running friends hit the roads at various times in various locations to compete against the grip that the couch and cheesy poofs have had on our lives. I chose to use the Roth Memorial 5K course for my personal race and finished in 42 minutes. That was faster than when I walk it and a time to compete against when I do the regular race in May.
It was a beautiful running morning. I did wait until after 10am to get started, not just because it was chilly, but I wanted to get a package in the mail (Jen, you can tell him it is on the way).
When I got to the starting point on the Concord University campus track I found they were setting up for a football game, glad I didn't plan on doing this in the afternoon! So, I got started and made my first goal to get around the track and out the gate to the parking lot before I stopped, Made It! LOL okay this was a no speed zone for sure. I walked for a bit and then jogged down the hill to the first dorm, then ran a bit and walked a bit for the whole 42 minutes. I found my self jogging up and down the hills, walking when I needed to and using the growing football crowds as inspiration to run just a little bit more to get past them. It worked pretty well I think, not a lot of speed, but I burned a bunch of calories and got off the couch to do it! Thanks for everyone who shared encouragement, next stop is the Pumpkin Run in 3 weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way To GO!!!!! Congrats keep it up
Jenny

CewTwo said...

Great report. I ran the half-marathon. Keep it up! Nasty, old couch!

Kim said...

Great job! I don't know what my body would do if I attempted to run/walk on pavement...It would be a shock to the system for sure to try running without the cushioned elliptical! I do know it would take me longer than 42 minutes! Way to go!!! Keep it up!

CewTwo said...

Just so you know, you can do this!

I was fat, lazy and lived a sedate lifestyle. I have lost the weight and gained the energy that you seek to.

Plus - I love running now!

PS - Thanks for posting on my blog!