Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Found a New Gear

Today was an exceptional run (yes, I think I ran more than walked) that reinforced everything that I have been working on for the last few weeks. My 5k plan said I was supposed to do a hard run today. I have been avoiding these days since at the beginning of my new adventure I had a difficult time staying out of the 80 to 90% heart rate zone, but I figured 35 minutes was possible.
Back in August when I started this it seemed like I hardly took 30 jogging steps before my heart rate was zooming up into the 90% of max range. Then I would have to walk about 100 yards before it was back down low enough for me to jog another 30 steps and repeat the whole process. I was about worn out after 15 minutes of that on the first day.
Since my max heart rate is 187 beats per minute today's goal was to stay between 155 and 170 for 35 minutes. I could hardly believe it, but I actually had to run uphill to stay in that range. When I got near the top of the hill I would be at about 165 so I would walk for a bit and my rate would level off and then drop pretty quickly. Then I would jog across the flat area and my rate came up slowly. I even picked up the speed a bit hoping to get to a point where I could walk, which means I have found another gear. I am still more Penguin than Deer, but I see improvement.
Saturday is my PWWHM Couch to 5k run in Athens, so tomorrow I am doing nothing and then Friday is a long walk in the fields to warm up for Saturday morning. Today's experience made me believe that I can push myself and have a pretty good 5k. It should be interesting.
P.S. We have a Marathon Celebrity in West Virginia - Michael Cox was the first American to cross the Chicago Marathon finish line, in 8th place, with a time of 2:21:42, which qualified him for an Olympic trial (the cut off was 2:22:00). Cox graduated from the same high school as Fabulous Hubby, where FH now teaches, and Cox is the cross-country coach at our alma mater, Concord University in Athens, WV (not Athens, Georgia as the Chicago Sun-Times reported).

1 comment:

Mark said...

Sandy, you are hooked. Great job finding the new gear. I think you've made it to the point where it gets easier. Put the hammer down but stay injury free with rest days!