Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hitting the Hills, Again

I have been walk/running these hillsides for a few months now. Somedays I think I am doing something wrong and need to push myself to run further or faster. But then I have days like yesterday where I run across some inspirational thoughts and ideas that teach me a lesson and remind me about what has been working, no matter what information I use to confuse myself. Yesterday I was reminded that long and slow daily walking is all I used to be able to manage and that during that time I lost a pound a week and took 6 minutes off my 5k time.
Since then I have tried to get on certain plans and schedules that are really designed for people who are trying to improve their running and don't need to loose weight too. Instead of continuing with my long walks with occasional running, I have been doing a lot of running with occasional walking. And still have an extra 50 pounds banging around on my frame.
By doing that I managed to get my first real nagging injury, IT Band keeps flaring up, and I have been on again off again running which made me gain and loose the same 3 pounds like a yoyo for the last few weeks.
The holidays didn't help, but that was only part of the problem. EGO was most of the problem. I thought I needed to make training changes because I have a plan to run certain distances in coming months. Mistake - weight loss needs to come first.
In the end I will be running those races because if I stay on my long slow plan I will be able to move a lighter frame around for longer amount of time and at faster speeds. And that is what matters.

No comments: