Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Getting Back To It

I told you last time that I pushed my knee harder than I should have. I was careful the rest of the week. Wednesday and Friday I did long sessions on the elliptical machine in the fitness room. I should have done a long run over the weekend, but really wanted to rest that knee for an entire week. This week I got started again on Tuesday. I decided to set a baseline on a fitness test. So I counted a minutes worth of crunches (30) and pushups (2). I had no idea I couldn't do more I need to work on that! Then I timed a 1 1/2 mile run on the treadmill (20:14). That was pretty good for me, I hadn't run more than a 1/2 mile straight before. I will be doing that check every week. I finished that session by completing 2 miles on the treadmill, spent another half hour on the bike, and then 20 minutes on the elliptical.
Tonight I was planning on working on those pushups, but we got about 4 inches of snow today, so to avoid driving on that mess in the dark I came home... and then ignored my home gym. I will try doing that in the morning instead. I can try.
I also started using a Runner's World training plan to get me in shape for a 10k on the 1st of March. The Tuesday workout included the scheduled 2 miles at 15:09 pace since I finished the 30 minutes by walking the last 1/2 mile. Tomorrow I am scheduled to do 5 miles. 1 mile warmup, 3 miles at 13:34, and 1 mile cool down. And then Saturday is 6 miles at 15:09. Hopefully it will be nice so I can double run the 3 mile course in Athens. I will give it my best effort, but do expect some Galloway walking to be included.
UPDATE!
I said I would try to work out in the morning - well I actually did do it! I amaze myself sometimes too. LOL I did some arm work and crunches. I should be feeling that in the morning.
This evening I did 3 1/2 miles instead of 5. The session included a 1 mile warm up and 2 miles at 13:20 and a 1/2 mile cool down. Running the 2 miles was all I could do tonight. My knee was hurting again too so the cool down was slower and thus shorter than it could have been. I realized this evening that the 6 miles at 15:09 scheduled for Saturday is really just a quick walk. That should be possible depending on my knee again though. I will have to work on the quads. I also got a good idea for a replacement to pushups today, the Plank. I will work it into my mornings.

No comments: