Thursday, September 6, 2007

Why I don't go to the Doctor

I decided to do the "right" thing and make an appointment for a check up. My insurance didn't include the doctor that most of my family goes to, but since there weren't any other options available in my area I chose to go to him anyway. The last time I went to this Dr. was in August 2001. I know this because I saw it on my chart today. There were other things on my chart that I had never seen because after that visit, they never scheduled a follow up appointment and I figured no news is good news. Turns out I should have gone back.
So he starts to ask me questions based on that six year old information. Kind of annoyed me. I wanted to talk about my new fitness plan, a couple of new problems I have, and get the paperwork so I can get new bloodwork done and start over with the diagnoses. That is where my biggest concern lies. Not in stuff that I think will solve itself if I can lose some weight.
He didn't ask about what type of excercise program I was starting so I told him that I had started a run/walk program and I want to run the 5K in November. He said - you don't need to run, walking is just as good. Then he said how he had been walking with some people that I know as if that was a good example. No offense to anybody, but they haven't done more than maintain. I have been maintaining for the last six years, I want to lose some weight and walking isn't good enough for me. It might work for some people, but what I have discovered is that my metabolism needs hours of walking each week to burn off the weight I want to lose. I don't want to spend hours walking. I don't want a quick fix either, but I know what works and he didn't care to ask any questions.
So anyway I am sort of annoyed with the appointment, but I managed to get confirmation on what is wrong with my foot - plantar fascitis - he didn't ask what I was doing, but agreed when I told him I suspected that it was caused during my Steps phase. I will keep stretching it and hoping it isn't really a spur developing. I also got some drops for my itchy ear. AND I got the paperwork for the lab test, I managed to get that taken care of today too. This time I do have a follow up appointment scheduled.
I guess what I am saying is that it doesn't really matter to me what he wanted to find wrong, I wanted to talk about my fitness plan and current problems. So that is why I don't go to the doctor. My problems were cheap his ideas were expensive.

No comments: