Friday, February 15, 2008

Cross Training

This week I started a couple of new attacks on my weight loss goal. My basic plan has me running easy on Monday, tempo or speed on Wednesday, and long on Saturday. The in-between days are for cross training and I have been having a hard time doing much at all. Even now I am thinking I should do a good long bike ride this morning, but... well I need to finish this don't I?
So anyway, the local paper had an ad for the Wellness Center and included that they have a Tae Bo class on Tuesday and a Step Aerobics class on Thursday. I made plans to participate in both of them. I am also lifting light weights in the fitness room during 20 minutes of lunch.
And then the weather changed my plans. It was going to be extra cold Wednesday (ended up being 26 degrees) so I moved my mid-week run to Tuesday since it was about 50 degrees in Athens. I was supposed to be on the track doing six minute half miles, but it was occupied by the university team. So instead I started out on the streets running for six minutes and then walking for six minutes. That lasted through a couple of sets before the six minute walks started getting longer. I was still moving along pretty well, it is a lot easier to do that on the flat track than on those hilly streets.
I was pretty happy with the work out though. At the end I was able to do a final mile on the track. I ran a lap and walked a lap, then I ran a 2:30 minute lap, and walked the final lap. If I could do more laps at that speed I would be pretty happy, but this was at the end of 5 miles and I had good energy so all is great with the world.
Thursday I did make it to the Wellness Center. I had never done step aerobics before, but it is a good thing I have been running or I would have been in trouble at the pace set by that instructor. I had no trouble keeping up, I just have to figure out some of the steps. There is a lot more to it than stepping up and down! There are turns and wide steps and backward steps and left/right versus right/left. I don't really have a lot of dance experience either so the choreography is challenging, but at least I have the energy to keep up, I just have to get my coordination down.
There is no doubt that these additions to my workout week will help with my weight loss and running. Getting more muscles developed will help burn more calories and provide some more resources for efficient running. I am looking forward to the race I have planned on March 15th. I hope to do pretty well. It is a new course for me so I will just have to get my pace where I want it and not be worried about the unknown. Time to ride the bike. Keep moving everybody!
PS - I found a new number on my scale this week! It has lasted for two whole days so I think it might be real! It has been a long time since I had any loss that wasn't making up for a light gain so I am very happy. I really do need to go ride that bike now. Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks as if you are getting moving again on the scale pass some of that my way would ya I seem to be stuck at 158 up and down a half pound or pound but still not below. I really do belive it is alot of the weights building muscle and causing me to remain at this weight. I am eating a bit more lately too because I feel Hungry alot more lately I think I need more calories to sustain my 2 hour workouts. Take care and keep it up!